Wednesday, December 24, 2008

This is all I can do…

We all bring different things to the table. Me, well sometimes I question if I actually offer anything. Well if you have missed my last couple of days read this because you don't know my dad died 3 days ago. Honestly it feels like at least a week. I feel like it was forever ago when I felt his foot on my forearm as I helped the funeral home get the gurney down the steep steps of his house. Tonight our church had its Christmas Eve gathering. My close friend and pastor told me it was cool if I wanted to not play tonight. Honestly I didn’t think it was going to be possible for me to sing tonight, then I thought about it some more. See I really think I am blessed to have gotten the best qualities from both of my parents and one that I got from my dad is that I don’t suck at music. (My dad was good)I really don’t think I am a great musician but I enjoy it. I have always said what I lack in talent I make up for in passion.

Well tonight I played. I got a text from a very kind friend that said if I was going to play then I needed to “play my f-ing ass off.” (I didn’t type out the f bomb because I think some moms that might read this might feel strange reading that on my blog.) That’s what I did. I have 4 guitars. One of those guitars is a 1962 small-bodied Gibson. The sound is a bit tinny and strings can get lost in each other while strumming with any kind of force. I have only led with that guitar twice. Once was when I broke a string and the other was I wanted a more tinny sound for a song. That Gibson has played with Buddy Holly and Johnny Cash when it belonged to my grandfather. It was passed down to my dad and now to me. What a great thing to have passed down, huh? Last night I decided what I was going to play for the prelude. I played the song ‘deliver us’ written by Andrew Peterson. So, tonight instead of playing my other guitars I picked up the small-bodied Gibson and took the stage. Just before walking on to the stage I said to Mark my sound guy “be ready Mark, I am yelling on the prelude.” He looked at me and smiled and said “I know, I heard you practicing in the room over there”.

The sound clip below is the recording of tonight. It is rough and right out of the board. This was me honoring my dad by doing my best to honor God with the Gifts that we shared. So here is me being vulnerable with the world. This is me playing my f-ing ass off. You can tell as I strum harder and harder as the song goes on.
For you dad…This is all I can do…

Click here for 'Deliver Us'

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

WOW, that is all I can say.

Frank said...

You did an awesome job. Missy

Springer and Laura Susan said...

That was amazing... thanks for sharing your heart in this song.

We love you and are praying for you.