Monday, December 01, 2008

Do you need Africa?

So i still haven't followed through on blogging about my last month. seriously i will be doing that soon.
i wrote last week about Africa, and what the mocha club is trying to do. below is some stuff they have asked me to throw up concerning Africa.


When I think of Africa, the following images immediately come to mind: Starvation. AIDS. Child soldiers. Genocide. Sex slaves. Orphans. ( For me, Aaron, its Gro with Bueni, Ryan and a mango tree meeting church, orphans singing and dancing, stories of taking kids to the doctor to find out they have aid, Jason playing drums in a village, ryan and chris on a safari, kids in an orphanage needing clean water, and honestly my list can go on and i haven't even been there) From there, my thoughts naturally turn to how I can help, how I can make a difference. “I am needed here,” I think. “They have so little, and I have so much.” It’s true, there are great tragedies playing out in Africa everyday. There is often a level of suffering here that is unimaginable until you have seen it, and even then it is difficult to believe. But what is even harder is reconciling the challenges that many Africans face with the joy I see in the people. It’s a joy that comes from somewhere I cannot fathom, not within the framework that has been my life to this day.[read more]



Honestly, what breaks my heart about this is that 450 BILLION dollars is spent of Christmas in America alone. that averages out to about 900 bucks per family. if we all cut our Christmas budgets in half we could change this world forever. so my question to you is can we really change on our own?
NO WE CAN'T.
we need the power of a risen King to do that. My pryer is that this Christmas God will make a change in us. one that will last a lifetime. one that isn't motivated by pity but the grace and compassion that we have received.

No comments: