Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Healer

For those of you who don’t know me well, which is probably no one that would read this, part of what I do for a living is sing songs with friends. That probably seems strange to folks that haven’t really been around me for the past 7-9 years. I started playing this instrument called a guitar and did something like singing while I played and then I got asked to lead some songs.
Songs have always been something I enjoy singing and listening to. I ran across this song awhile back and recently came back to it. Its called ‘Helaer’.

You hold my every moment You calm my raging seas
You walk with me through fire And heal all my disease

I trust in You

I believe You're my Healer I believe You are all I need
I believe You're my Portion I believe You're more than enough for me
Jesus You're all I need

Nothing is impossible for You


In short: those words were written by a guy that had lied about having cancer. SO in turn the Christian community pulls this song off the shelf, reprints cd’s and dvd’s so that this song is not being purchased anymore.
Ok here is my issue. We as the church say we all need Jesus and the He is our only hope. Well, what is this song saying?
This song, to me, has even more meaning since the writer is a lying manipulative guy. WHY? Because he is just like we are. Do you know anything about guys who wrote some of the hymns we sing? If not I need to write about some of the depressed, pompous, angry and hurtful men that wrote our beloved hymns that many church sing today.

And sometimes we need to sing songs we don’t believe, in hopes that one day God will give us the longings of our heart. And that longing is to see Jesus as our healer, our portion, our needs met, our comforter in hard times and most importantly the super hero of this thing we call life.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Amen Bud!

jimpharr. said...

i like what you said a lot. you speak truth.