Sunday, March 30, 2008

Good weekend

Well this weekend has really been a pretty busy weekend. At church we hosted a concert of red mountain music. Some of you reading this may not know of them or their music (not sure who might be reading this that wouldn't know of them, because I think the only folks that read this thing are folks that I have at least shared their music with). If you do not know who they are here is a brief summary. These folks take obscure text (mostly hymns) and put updated and good music to them. Their music often deals with doubt, fears and pain. These are all subjects that most contemporary songs/choruses do not deal with. For the past few years I have really enjoyed red mountains music and jumped at the chance to have them come in and play at our church.

1st I want to say the girl that sings for them is probably my favorite female vocalist ever. Yeah that’s a big statement but seriously she is SICK. Her voice is piercing. It pierces through the instruments and stands out unlike most female vocalist. So for those of you who want to know what I am talking about listen to this. I told C that I have a crush on her voice. She is cool with that because she has a crush on Shane E’s voice.

The band was great and easy to work with. Except for BTM he was so anal about his monitor. Very much the diva….just kidding. The entire band was great to mix and hang out with. At dinner last night Clint said something that I think most Christian ‘artist’ miss when it come to gifts that God has given them. He said and I paraphrase “I feel like I was created to play music. And I express my worship through music.” I feel like Christians often recognize the gifts they have but do not use their gifts to edify the body of believers. So thanks guys and Ashley for sharing your God given gifts to edify. I really enjoyed you guys and your music. Oh and if you read this, thanks for letting me sing with you guys, I enjoyed it.

One other great thing from this weekend was that we worked out some more kinks in our system. We will be building a patch bay this week hopefully and then we will officially have a really clean set up. I enjoyed running sound. It was nice to be on that side to really get a feel for what our system sounds like now with all of the new stuff we have gotten. Mark was a HUGE help and has done a great job building a rack and putting up with as we work through this.

I literally saw my lady for 20 min total yesterday she had a shower to throw, then I had to set up for concert, then we had community lunch today, got home at 2, she and L are napping now and we have community group at 6 tonight. Very busy weekend.

If you don’t own red mountain cd’s you should. We play a ton of their stuff.

6 comments:

Frank said...

Thanks for making the concert happen. I'm now the proud owner of 4 Red Mountain CDs!

I love the richness of those old hymns. I'm glad to see someone is putting those timeless words to modern arrangements.

Susan said...

who is this red mountain? i've never heard of them... :) write more blogs! i love to read updates! :)

BB said...

Aaron - we thouroughly enjoyed our time with y'all this weekend. The highlight (aside from playing hymns of course) was you taking us to Athens to hit the record stores for some fine vinyl.

Getting to immerse ourselves in the text of these hymns and contributing to the music that frames the text is why I enjoy doing these trips so much. Thanks for having us...

Brian T. Murphy said...

aaron,

thanks man, for everything. you guys are awesome. and yes, I agree about ashley. she's amazing. she's basically our secret weapon.

Aaron said...

BB-enjoyed getting to chat with you at dinner. next time you guys come into town we will take some more time in the store for you guys.

BTM:glad you guys felt taken care of...i mean i guess you did. we will be in bham in may probably, we will have to hook up if we have time.

Aaron said...

SUS: i will write some more.
Frank: the hymns are pretty great.