Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Mission Trips: Why do them?

I have done a ton of mission trips, both local and global. And this is what brings me here.
I have wanted to go to Africa, to work with orphaned children, ever since I got back from Romania in 2004. I have a close friend that is going to go to Kenya for 2 months during the summer of 2008. I want to go, but I have been trying to figure out why.

I had a conversation tonight about how wrong we get it when we do missions. We often (not every time I know) go into different cultures and do our best to make them like us. We spend thousands of dollars to make our selves feel like we did our good deed. But my thought is I don’t think the Gospel calls us to go to feel better about ourselves. I think the Gospel calls us to give/tell of the hope, redemption and love that only Jesus can provide.

So why do I want to go to Kenya? I want to go work with Orphans and love on them, maybe help them with some computer skills on some new computers that they may be getting. I want to be someone that can give hope that these orphans that feel abandoned have hope, even if that hope is not to

3 comments:

jimpharr. said...

i LOVE that comment about missions being done for ourselves... totally true sometimes...

Ryan Kennedy said...

make them like us? like teach them computer skills? not sure i completely follow...

Aaron said...

by make them like us i mean to westernize them.
computer skills is something i was talking with someone the other day about.