Saturday, December 30, 2006

I am shocked how long this is:


The documentary that made me think:

So I watched part of a documentary called "All We Are Saying" about the music industry. NOte, i only saw the secong half.It was done by rosanna arquette, and I actually enjoyed it. She went around and talked to musicians about why they do what they do, how it affects their family life, what they love about music and really any random thing about music. The oddest people were Tom Petty and Yoko Ono(like that’s a shock). Neil Crosby cried/teared up discussing how he doesn’t get to see his family enough and misses them. Sheryl Crow talked about how music always surprised her, and how the writing process was something kinda crazy. Some random lady I had never seen or heard of said music makes you feel like you are a part of something bigger than yourself. Andre 3000 said you know when you write something that will be great because its like something/someone else is writing it…like magic. Boy George said it was a way to be the center of attention and express himself honestly…I will say I think he gets attention and expresses himself just fine. Willie said he must love the road he can’t get off of it. There were many more that I could mention but I wont.

My thought/question is what is it about music that grabs everyone? I mean everyone. I found myself hearing their stories and hearing some of my own voice. I am one of the few musicians that doesn’t perform. I play weekly with some friends but it not for people to listen to. Its not for me to feel good about myself for my musical gifts. I play to lead some of my friends in singing songs that have lyrics that have one single person at the focus. Lyrics that tell a story. They tell the story of a Savior that has come to be our “great salvation”
So as I play these songs something magical (ala Andre 3000) happens. I don’t think it has to do with the lighting, nothing to with the peoples clothes on stage or the amount of people in the room. I believe the “magic” is the fact that we get the fact that we are not alone when we sing. We sing “you are the everlasting God” not just to tell God he is everlasting but to remind each other, we sing “It is finished , hear the dying savior cry” to let our fellow believers know because of Christ death, burial and resurrection, that they have been declared righteous and there sins were and are atoned for. (that’s a run-on sentence and I don’t care) We sing as a body of believers and we grow from that, we grow from each other.

It is no secret that I am not a fan of the use of an organ for the primary instrument during worship. How ever there was one Sunday(my 2nd Easter at FPC, it was David Jones’ 1st Easter, that might land mark it for some of you) and the Organ started “A mighty fortress is our God” and as the choir entered singing the congregation joined in to sing:
A mighty fortress is our God,
A bulwark never failing;
Our helper He, amid the flood
Of mortal ills prevailing;
For still our ancient foe
doth seek to work us woe;
His craft and power are great,
and, armed with cruel hate,
On earth is not his equal.

That word above all earthly powers,
No thanks to them, abideth;
The Spirit and the gifts are ours
Through Him Who with us sideth;
Let goods and kindred go,
this mortal life also;
The body they may kill:
God’s truth abideth still,
His kingdom is forever.

As we sang that day I had goose bump/chill bumps/holy spirit bumps whatever you call them (I prefer goose bumps) all over my body. I mean the body of Christ stood together and said “Let goods and kindred go,this mortal life also; The body they may kill:
God’s truth abideth, still,His kingdom is forever.”
Man I loved that Sunday, besides Youth Sundays, a few REALLY funny solos, and my last Sunday, that Easter stands out as one of my favorite Sunday mornings at FPC.

So I ask myself what is it about music?
It’s bigger than me and my guitar, its bigger than the lyrics and chords on a piece of paper. That’s it. Its Bigger. There is something that draws me in, something that awakes my soul, it tells me I am not alone and most importantly gives me hope.
Please do not read this and think I am saying music is more important than scripture, I hope if you are someone who knows me and is reading this knows that is not my heart.


So yeah, that’s all for now. I am off to finish my latest butt kicking by Vijay Singh and then to bed.
And then another great day of being a dad, husband, and thankfully a musician.

Sorry this is so long, I had something on my mind. And I an to sleepy to proof this whole thing, sorry. i will proof it later.

2 comments:

Matt Adair said...

Your best post ever...

Aaron said...

thanks, I have more concerning all this on my heart.