Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Sleep


ok so this picture is of my boy the other day sleeping, i wish he was sleeping that well right now, he is screaming at the top of his lungs. when he is out, he is OUT. i mean nothing wakes him. I wish i could sleep like that. i really wish i could go to sleep fast for once and not think about 1 million things. anyway new subject: here are some thoughts on worship,
well these are somethings that have been on my mind lately: thinking about our outward expressions...how do we judge/create the ways that we show our affections? is it judged by scripture? should it be? i mean david danced with out all of his clothes..i mean not that i dont think that could be fun but would that be worship for me? if you don;t know the answer is no. i do think scripture tells us how to worship but i also think scripture tells the story of many different people. (please don'tleave me the comment about worship being our lives, i know that, I am not talking about that i am specifically talking about our response to musical worship. ) i got the new hillsongs album about 3 weeks ago (matt i saw you got that album) i like the cd and i loved the DVD from the last cd but this one i struggled with while i watched. at one point these students have a mosh pit. could that be an act of worship? i am not so sure. i feel like our worship is our response to the greatness of God. i am not sure how a mosh pit brings Glory and attention t o Jesus. I am not saying mosh pits are wrong in general but i do not feel like they have a place in worship. i love the heart behind worship music but as many folks say that slam "contemporary" worship i feel like so often it can be totally me focused. i think there is a need for some of that but not all of that. as i am working on writing songs i am really trying to make sure that everything i write points to Jesus and how fortunate i am that he extends His grace to me.
as i started this blog saying Levi was crying, he has just gone down to sleep which means this blog was paused about 10 times and took 2 hours to write. sorry this is really choppy and may not make much sense nor is it even a complete thought.
-a

11 comments:

Matt Adair said...

A-
You need to clarify on which Matt you're referring to - since I don't consider Australia to be a legitimate nation, I discount anything that comes from Australia - Hillsongs, shmillsongs...

Matthew said...

That would be me, Matthew...his first ;)

I'm at lunch while reading this but I'll do some reflection and see where my heart is on this. I do know that "moshing" is a part of our culture and that is where the response is generated from, "duh". But should our culture dictate how we respond to God or should our response to God dictate our culture.

I'll let you Driscollites think on that one.

-Matthew

Aaron said...

matthew...neither God Should dictate our response to him. PSalm 50.

Matthew said...

Ok precher man, hope that did not make ya mad, but can you extrapolate that comment a little bit more. It's like me saying "here's proof: the Bible."

I guess what I'm asking here is it would be nice to see your write some biblical teachings on how to respond to God in worship through song.

Aaron said...

i cant respond now but i will later, but seriously whats up with calling me preacherman? i am not a fan of that. and your comment didn't make me mad, i will write some more for you, but b4 i do, can you tell me why you don't see the bible as proof for you?

Matt Adair said...

For the sake of group discussion, when you consider how people responded to God (which in the OT would be seen in various theophanies (God-encounters) - Adam and Eve, Moses, Abraham, Isaiah, Ezekiel - as well as the people's response to the character of God in their system of sacrifice and offering - which is where David danced around like he was a member of the Red Hot Chili Peppers; then in the NT, the emphasis is moved away from a specific time and place to all of life as worship, even though you do have glimpses of how people responded to God in their encounter with him - Peter with Jesus, Paul on the Damascus Road, John on Patmos), what you see in those direct encounters with God is an overwhelming sense of awe and unworthiness sometimes, and celebration and rejoicing in response to the gracious work of God at other times (David; Song of Moses after the Red Sea; etc).

Jonathan Edwards' classic 'The Religious Affections' is helpful here, although it is difficult to ascertain whether someone else's actions are genuine or contrived. I do believe that our personal communion with God will bring out all of our emotions at some point in time; whether or not all of those should come out in corporate worship is another question.

The primary question I would ask about the moshing incident is two-fold: one, what was being said about God and his work that led those crazy kids to smack into each other like super balls on a trampoline; and two, what is moshing trying to express in the Australian culture. It seems that moshing is pretty much dead in the mainstream culture here, but I could imagine it going on still in Christian circles because most Christians struggle to do anything more than react to culture by trying to Jesus-ize everything.

Matthew said...

I'm not unwilling to accept the Bible as proof, I'm more than willing! You missed my point..

It's like if we were sitting down to play a game of football and you asked me, what button makes you juke? And my response was, "here's the manual."

In essence that is what you are saying.

I could have responded to the above scenario by saying you juke by hitting the L2 button left or right and you can spin by hitting circle and go faster if you hold down X. Offering even more than what you anticipated, I will satisfy some of your next questions instead of just throwing you a book.

Sure the Bible has all of the answers, but you've been doing this for awhile so we'd like to hear what you've found from the bible.

What I'm asking for here is a little better explanation about what the Bible says on worship through song and what a good biblical response to Jesus would be? I think this topic is something that is not taught very well today or atleast I've not seen much on it.

Aaron said...

matthew: i havent had time to respond in full, i will try later tonight.
-a

Matthew said...

np bro!

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.